An age progression image shows Edgar Latulip, who was found after 30 years. (Waterloo Regional Police Service)

Edgar Latulip in age progression photo. (Waterloo Regional Police Service)

For 30 years, Edgar Latulip was gone. He didn’t remember his own name or realize he was living 80 miles from home, where he was listed as a missing person and where there were competing theories about how and where he had most likely died.

No one had seen him since September 1986 when, according to news accounts, Latulip disappeared from a Canadian group home, got on a bus bound for the south side of Lake Ontario and forgot almost everything.

He assumed a new identity.

He settled in a new city.

He built a new life.

But a recent recollection has led Latulip back to the world he left behind.

Police this week announced that Latulip, 50, had been found in St. Catharines, Ontario, not far from where he had vanished decades earlier.

And — most shockingly — it was Latulip who solved his own cold case.

Authorities had once said Latulip was “developmentally delayed” and had “mental health challenges.” His mother had said her adult son — who was 21 when he disappeared — functioned at the level of a child.

The last time his mother saw him, Latulip was in the hospital, recovering from a suicide attempt, according to the Waterloo Region Record.

Latulip abandoned the home in Kitchener and, police said, headed for Niagara Falls — “a common suicide site,” the Region Record noted. In an especially troubling sign, he had left the residence without his medication.

Soon after, police said, Latulip suffered a head injury and lost his memory.

But police said he started having flashbacks last month and remembered his real name: Edgar Latulip.

He told a social worker, who discovered that he was a missing person and contacted local authorities.

After a voluntary DNA exam, police were able to confirm his identity.

The Missing Children’s Network called it “incredible news.”

“Edgar’s recovery is the reason why we never give up hope!” said Pina Arcamone, the organization’s director general.

Phil Gavin, spokesman for Niagara Regional Police Service, said Latulip is now preparing to reunite with his family.

Source: How a man solved the 30-year-old mystery of his own disappearance – The Washington Post