The longest standoff in American history has finally wrapped up, and I’ll bet you’ve never heard a word about it. The standoff itself is fascinating, but how it ended is the real story. The media won’t talk about this because of Oregon, but we need to spread it.

After nearly 15 years, John Joe Gray stepped off his property last week in Trinity River, Texas, and ended the longest armed standoff in American history.

The peaceful resolution Wednesday came to fruition because a reporter following up on his story stopped by — Gray had no idea that the charges he had holed up to avoid had been dropped against him all the way back in December of 2014.

Gray, who has long been linked to several anti-government militia groups, initiated the standoff in 1999 when he was confronted by a police officer who noticed a gun concealed in his car without a permit. Gray maintained that he had a God-given right to keep that firearm thanks to the Second Amendment.

They scrapped, and Gray bit the apprehending officer. He was then brought up on assaulting a state trooper. He managed to post bail after being jailed, at which time he made for his 47-acre property prepared for a fight.

When his court appointment came, no Gray. He, his wife, children, and grandchildren were armed and ready for an assault by the authorities.

Gray did not leave that property from his court date in early 2001…..until WEDNESDAY!


“If they come out after us, bring extra body bags. Those who live by the sword will die by the sword,” Gray told ABC News in 2000, according to WFAA. “We’ve never shot no one yet. But they know, if they come on us, they’ll be surprised what’s going to happen to them.”

For its part, the government left them alone, isolating the property and seeing to it that no one was harmed around the land.

“I didn’t do that to concede victory to that guy,” Douglas Lowe, the district attorney for Anderson County, told the The New York Times. “It had been going on for 15 years, and somebody just had to make a decision that it was time to say it’s over.”

For crying out loud, the guy imprisoned himself for 15 years. It was time for something to give.

Source: Longest Armed Standoff in U.S. History Comes to Close With Surprise Ending… Media Silent