We’ve grown up making fun of the French tendency to surrender, but that all seems to be a thing of the past.
Now, French authorities are taking on radical Islam, and they mean business.
A two-week campaign of raids against radical Islamist targets by French counterterrorism forces has yielded 232 arrests and 334 weapons confiscations. According to France Info (via Breitbart), 34 of those weapons were “war-grade.”
All in all, counterterrorism authorities have raided 2,235 homes and buildings in the wake of the Nov. 13 attacks. In addition to the weapons, illegal narcotics were found in 165 locations.
“In 15 days we have seized one-third of the quantity of war-grade weapons that are normally seized in a year,” French Interior Minister Bernard Cazeneuve said.
Cazeneuve also said that three mosques had been closed down in the national state of emergency following the attacks. One of the mosques authorities shuttered on Wednesday after authorities discovered a 9mm handgun, a concealed hard drive, a life insurance policy and — most tellingly — documents relating to jihad.
“Operations are being carried out against hate preachers and self-proclaimed imams,” Cazeneuve told reporters, calling the measures necessary because of “Islamist radicalization.”
According to Cazaneuve, this is the first time that France has ever taken these measures against Islam, but they were necessary.
Answering critics who said that the state of national emergency could be lifted, Cazaneuve responded that “state of emergency was needed and is still required,” adding that “it is terrorism that threatens freedom today, not the state of emergency.”