Death toll climbs after blasts in Turkish capital during protests against conflict between state and Kurdish militants
At least 95 people have been killed and around 250 wounded in the deadliest terror attack in Turkey’s history after two explosions targeted a peace rally in the centre of the capital.
Twin explosions outside Ankara’s main train station on Saturday morning targeted hundreds of people who had gathered to protest against violence between authorities and the Kurdish militant group, the PKK.
Turkish government officials said the explosions were a terrorist attack carried out by suicide bombers but no group has yet claimed responsibility. Turkey’s prime minister, Ahmet Davutoğlu, was holding emergency meetings with government officials and security chiefs on Saturday afternoon.
Early statements put the death toll at 86, but on Saturday evening both the pro-Kurdish HDP party and the Turkish Medical Association revised the estimate to 97. The figure is likely to rise again. On Saturday afternoon, the health minister said that 126 had been wounded, but that figure was later raised to 245.
Immediately after the attack at least 20 bodies could be seen covered by bloodstained flags on the road. Witnesses said the blasts were seconds apart shortly after 10am and were so powerful they rocked nearby high-rise buildings.
WARNING: Some views may find this footage disturbing.
Source: Turkey terror attack: scores killed in twin Ankara blasts | World news | The Guardian
Join the conversation!
We have no tolerance for comments containing violence, racism, vulgarity, profanity, all caps, or discourteous behavior. Thank you for partnering with us to maintain a courteous and useful public environment where we can engage in reasonable discourse.